Policies & Procedures

Freshman Admissions

Applicants who have no college credit or earned college credits only while in high school through dual enrollment, dual credit and AP/IB programs are evaluated on freshman admission requirements. Applicants with college credit earned after high school graduation or receiving an equivalency certificate are considered transfer students and are evaluated on transfer admission requirements.

SAT Scores

Scores listed under the Redesigned SAT Exam are based on the College Board’s new concordance table. Scores are subject to change.

Core GPA (Non-Ranking High Schools)

Students from non-ranking high schools are admitted to Mizzou based on a sliding scale combination of their:

  • core GPA
  • standardized test scores.

The minimum required core GPA changes every few years. This core GPA is set by the UM System for admissions to all four campuses and is not the same core requirement that is used for MU’s scholarship requirements for students from non-ranking high schools.

Applicants who have an educational history that includes study in any non-English speaking country, regardless of citizenship or visa status, might be required to submit proof of English proficiency. The MU Office of Admissions and Office of International Admissions will individually review each applicant that fits this criteria.

A student may substitute three units of secondary vocational agriculture courses for one unit of biological science. This unit will be counted towards the three units of science courses required. The three units must be selected from the following list of six specific courses and corresponding DESE core data course code:

  • Agricultural Science I (016710)
  • Agricultural Science II (016760)
  • Crop Science (016761)
  • Greenhouse Operation and Management (0167665)
  • Animal Science (016711)
  • Conservation of Natural Resources (016759).

A student may also substitute Agricultural Management and Economics (016730) for one unit of economics. This unit will be counted towards the three units of social studies courses required.

These two substitutions will be accepted for admission to any college within the university

The University of Missouri allows admitted, domestic applicants to delay their first-year application for up to one year. A student who is approved to take a gap year does not need to submit a new application to the Office of Admissions, nor do they need to pay an additional application fee. Visit Taking a Gap Year for more information.

International Students

Transfer Credits

Students applying to transfer to the University of Missouri from a US accredited college or university operating in a non-English speaking country will be required to submit an English language proficiency exam (TOEFL or IELTS) that meets the requirements of the program to which they are applying. The students’ GPA will be figured by the Office of International Admissions and this will include performance in English coursework. If the student is admitted, all transfer courses, minus any English courses, will be posted to the student’s myZou account.

Upon arrival on campus the student will take the English Language Exam (ELE) with MU’s Center for English Language Learning. If the student’s performance on the ELE exam is such that they are cleared for all academic coursework, International Admissions will transfer in their English courses, provided they have grades equivalent to a C or higher.

If the student is required to take English Language Support Program (ELSP) coursework in order to enroll at MU, they will not receive transfer credit for their English courses from their previous institution. The student would then need to complete ELSP coursework successfully as well as MU’s ENGL 1000 and any other English courses as required by their degree program.

Costs and Aid

Tuition and Fees

The governing board of the university has the right to change what it costs to attend Mizzou. If there are any increases in your overall costs, you will be given a 30-day notice prior to the beginning of the semester. If you already paid your tuition and fees before this notice, you will be required to make up the difference.

Clery Act

The Clery Act is a consumer-protection law aiming to provide transparency around campus crime policy and statistics. The university provides this information to inform students, parents, potential students, employees and potential employees of the crimes that are occurring on and around campus. MU also provides an Annual Fire Safety and Security Report.