Founded in 1839, MU was the first public university west of the Mississippi River and the first public university in the Louisiana Purchase territory.
Columbia, Mo., population 108,500. Columbia is a college town located halfway between St. Louis and Kansas City, about a two-hour drive from each.
Student enrollment (fall 2012)
- Total: 34,748
- Undergraduate: 26,996
- Graduate and professional: 7,752
- International: 2,135
- Minority: In fall 2012, Mizzou enrolled the most diverse freshman class to date. Black student enrollment rose 8 percent from the 2011 class and Hispanic enrollment was up 11.4 percent.
- States represented: 50
- Countries represented: more than 100
- Faculty and instructors: 2,121
- International scholars among faculty: 323
- Student-to-faculty ratio: 20:1
- Average ACT score: 25.7
- Average Honors College ACT score: 30.7
- Degree programs: more than 280 (or design your own!)
- Schools and colleges: 19
- Freshman Interest Group options: more than 100
- 1,262 acres with 350 buildings in the heart of Columbia
- 23 residence halls
- 18 buildings on the National Register of Historic Places
- 19,437 acres in spots throughout the state
- MU campus is a designated botanic garden
- 20 varsity teams that compete in the Southeastern Conference (SEC) in NCAA Division I-A sports
- 40-plus club sports and rec sports
- 800-plus student organizations
- Learn more about all the things we take pride in at Mizzou.