Guide to establishing Missouri residency
Missouri residents live and work in Missouri. The documents you provide will support your case that you have lived and worked in Missouri for at least the 12 immediate past, consecutive months prior to the semester you are seeking Missouri residency. ALL of the residency requirements below must be met in order for your petition to be approved. If any requirement is not met or is not properly documented, the petition will not be approved. If the petition is not approved, you will have the option to appeal the decision.
Below are the minimum requirements. Every application is evaluated on its own individual merits. Additional documents may be requested by the Residency Office after reviewing your application and supporting materials.
If you receive financial aid, please contact Financial Aid at 573-882-7506 or email@example.com to determine how changing your residency status might affect your award.
MISSOURI Residency requirements
Effective for the Fall 2014 semester, there is a non-refundable $150 processing fee to apply for Missouri residency. This will be added to your student account when you submit your Petition for Missouri Resident Status.
- Proof of presence in Missouri. You must document that you have resided in Missouri for the 12 immediate past, consecutive months prior to the semester you are seeking Missouri residency. You will pay non-resident fees during these 12 months. To petition for the Fall semester, you must reside in Missouri from August to August; for Spring semester from January to January and for Summer semester from June to June.
Documents required to prove presence:
A. Lease(s) or sublease(s) with your name on it during the summer months when school is not in session
B. Payroll records/paystubs
C. Bank records from May through August showing regular transactions within the state of Missouri
The summer months must be thoroughly documented from at least two independent sources. A lease is NOT sufficient documentation of your presence in Missouri.
On bank records, we look for 2-3 transactions each week during the summer months of May through August to help prove presence in Missouri. If there are days unaccounted for, you may be asked to provide additional documentation to prove presence in Missouri. Parents may be listed on the bank account with their student, however, only the student may use the account to make transactions. The bank account does not need to be located in Missouri but the statements that are submitted must have the student’s name on them. Please mark out account numbers on your bank documents.
You are allowed to leave Missouri for only 14 days from the end of the Spring semester until the beginning of the Fall semester. Travel days to and from your destination count toward the 14 days. Please be aware that if you live near a bordering state, any trips across the state line will count toward the 14 days out of Missouri, regardless of the duration or purpose of the trip. ANY length of time OUT of Missouri will count as one of your allotted 14 days. There are NO EXCEPTIONS to this rule.
You are not required to remain in Missouri during the Thanksgiving, Winter or Spring breaks.
- Proof of earning at least $2,000 of taxable earned income in Missouri. At least $2,000 of Missouri taxable income must be earned during the 12-month qualifying period. If you have earned $2,000 prior to the beginning or end of summer, you still must work in Missouri during the entire summer unless you are enrolled in a summer class. If you are enrolled in a summer class, you still must earn $2,000, however you do not need to show paystubs for the time you are enrolled in class. You will be asked to provide documentation of your class dates and meeting times.
Documents required to show earned income:
A. Official payroll records/paystubs
- Copy of a Missouri driver's license. Learn more about Missouri driver's licenses.
- Copy of Missouri voter's registration verification. Register as a Boone County (Columbia) voter or anywhere else in the state of Missouri.
- Copy of page 1 of the previous year's federal 1040 income tax form. If you were under 21 during any part of the qualifying 12 months, please submit a copy of page 1 of your parent’s federal 1040 income tax form for the previous year showing that you were NOT claimed as a dependent. If you were 21 or older for the entire qualifying 12 months, please submit a copy of page 1 of your federal and Missouri 1040 income tax form for the previous year. Please mark out all social security numbers.
- If you are the sole owner of your car, please submit a copy of your Missouri auto registration.
You must present copies of ALL of the below documents for your Residency Petition to be complete:
- Residency Petition form
- Residency Processing Fee Authorization form
- Lease(s) or sublease(s) with your name on it
- Official payroll records/paystubs
- Bank records from May through August showing regular transactions within the state of Missouri
- Copy of your permanent Missouri driver's license
- Copy of your Missouri voter's registration verification
- If you were under 21 during any part of the qualifying 12 months, a copy of page 1 of your parent’s federal 1040 income tax form for the previous year showing you were NOT claimed as a dependent. If you were 21 or older for the entire qualifying 12 months, a copy of page 1 of your federal and Missouri 1040 income tax form for the previous year.
- If you are the sole owner of your car, a copy of your Missouri auto registration
Please submit copies of all documentation. We cannot make copies or return any documents to you.
Process for applying for Missouri Residency
- After completing the 12-month qualifying period, you will submit your documents. You may pick up a residency petitioning packet at the front desk in 202 Ellis Library or print the packet. If you have questions, you may meet with a residency officer during our walk-in hours of 9:30-11 a.m. or 2-3 p.m. Monday through Friday.
- Residency petitions may only be submitted for the semester you wish to be considered a Missouri resident. The petitioning period begins the first day of classes through the last day of classes for that particular semester. The petition and ALL supporting documents must be received by the last day of class in order to be considered for that semester. After the last day of classes, no residency petitions will be considered for that semester.
- Once you have been granted Missouri residency, you must maintain continuous enrollment for the Fall and Spring semesters. Should you not attend school for one of these semesters, you will be required to re-establish your eligibility to pay in-state tuition/fees.
Additional information to consider
- Once you establish Missouri residency, you will become a Missouri resident for fee purposes at MU. Should you decide to return to your home state after becoming a Missouri resident, you could be required to re-establish residency.
- Please contact the Cashier's Office at 573-882-3097 or firstname.lastname@example.org with questions about your bill.
- If you are under 21, before your parents take you off their federal income tax return, make sure that they check with their health insurance provider to ensure their insurance company will continue to cover you if you are no longer considered a dependent for tax purposes.
- For Financial Aid applicants, this form is for residency purposes only and does not demonstrate independent student status for financial aid purposes. You must answer NO to the emancipated minor question on the FAFSA unless you can provide a copy of a court's decision that you were an emancipated minor before reaching the age of majority in your state of legal residence. If you receive financial aid, please contact the Office of Student Financial Aid at 573-882-7506 or email@example.com to determine how changing your residency might affect your award.
- If you are a student-athlete, you must notify the Athletic Compliance Office that you are applying for Missouri residency.
- If you are a non-U.S. citizen but have a U.S. Permanent Resident Card, please provide a copy of your card.
If you have questions or need assistance, please contact the Residency Department of the University Registrar:
- In person or by mail: 202 Ellis Library, Columbia, MO 65211
- Office hours: Monday-Friday 9:30-11 a.m. and 2-3 p.m.
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: 573-882-7786