Requirements for establishing Missouri residency
Missouri residents live and work in Missouri. The documents you provide will support your case that you have lived and worked in Missouri for at least the 12 past, consecutive months immediately prior to the semester you are seeking Missouri residency. ALL of the residency requirements listed below must be met in order for your petition to be approved. If any requirement is not met or is not properly documented, the petition will not be approved. If the petition is not approved, you will have the option to appeal the decision.
Below are the minimum requirements. Every application is evaluated on its own individual merits. Additional documents may be requested by the Residency Department after reviewing your application and supporting materials.
If a student receives financial aid, please contact the Office of Student Financial Aid at 573-882-7506 or MizzouSFA@missouri.edu to determine how changing your residency status might affect your award.
Missouri Residency Requirements
There is a non-refundable $150.00 processing fee to apply for Missouri residency. This will be added to the student’s account when they submit their Petition for Missouri Resident Status.
A. Proof of presence in Missouri
Applicants must document that they have resided in Missouri for 12 consecutive months immediately prior to the semester they are seeking Missouri residency. They will pay non-resident fees during these 12 months. To petition for the Fall semester, applicants must reside in Missouri from August to August; for Spring semester from January to January and for Summer semester from June to June.
DOCUMENTS REQUIRED TO PROVE PRESENCE:
- Lease(s) or sublease(s) with the student’s name on it during the summer months when school is not in session
- Payroll records/paystubs and work schedules. Students may NOT work online, work for a relative or a family business.
- Bank records from May through August showing transaction dates. Receipts will NOT be accepted as proof of presence in Missouri.
The summer months must be thoroughly documented from at least two independent sources. A lease is NOT sufficient documentation of an applicant’s presence in Missouri. Applicants must live AND work in Missouri.
Applicants must make 2-3 banking transactions each week during the summer months of May through August to help prove presence in Missouri. These purchases prove the student was physically in Missouri. If there are days unaccounted for, applicants may be asked to provide additional documentation to prove presence in Missouri. Parents may be listed on the bank account with their student, however, only the student may use the account to make transactions. The bank account does not need to be located in Missouri, but the statements must show the student’s name printed by the bank.
You are allowed to leave Missouri for a total of only 14 days from the end of the Spring semester until the beginning of the Fall semester. Travel days to and from your destination count toward the 14 days. Please be aware that if you live near a bordering state, any trips across the state line will count toward the 14 days out of Missouri, regardless of the duration or purpose of the trip. ANY length of time OUT of Missouri will count as one of your allotted 14 days. There are NO EXCEPTIONS to this rule.
Students are not required to remain in Missouri during the Thanksgiving, Winter or Spring breaks.
B. Proof of earning at least $2000 of taxable earned income in Missouri
At least $2000 of Missouri taxable income must be earned during the 12 month qualifying period. If applicants have earned $2000 prior to the beginning or end of summer, they must still work in Missouri during the entire summer to prove presence. If they are enrolled in a summer class on campus, they still must earn $2000. Please provide documentation of your class dates and meeting times. Enrollment in online classes is not proof of presence in Missouri.
DOCUMENTS REQUIRED TO SHOW EARNED INCOME:
- Official payroll records/paystubs. (Pay stubs and work schedules must be included for every pay period in the summer. Students may NOT work online, work for a relative or work for a family business.)
C. Copy of your permanent Missouri driver's license
More information can be found at the Missouri Department of Revenue's website. Missouri mails permanent driver’s license so plan on 4-6 weeks to receive the permanent license after you apply. The DVM will not forward your license to other addresses.
D. Copy of your Missouri voter's registration verification
Online registration is available through the Boone County Clerk's office. If you are a non-U.S. citizen and have a U. S. Permanent Resident Card, please provide a copy of your card in place of the voter’s registration card with your residency petition.
E. Copy of page 1 and 2 of the previous year’s federal 1040 income tax form
If the applicant was under 21 during any part of the qualifying 12 months, please submit a copy of page 1 and 2 of their parent’s federal 1040 income tax form for the previous year showing the applicant was NOT claimed as a dependent. This means the applicant’s name may NOT be listed in the “Exemptions” box on line 6 of the Federal 1040. If the parents are divorced or file separately, please submit copies of both parent’s tax returns. If the applicant was 21 or older for the entire qualifying 12 months, please submit a copy of page 1 and 2 of their Federal and Missouri 1040 income tax forms for the previous year. Please mark out all social security numbers.
F. If the applicant is listed as the owner of their car, please submit a copy of their Missouri auto registration.
Documents required to apply for Missouri Residency
Copies of ALL of the documents listed below must be provided with your Residency Petition. The Residency Department cannot make copies or return any documents to you. All documents submitted become the property of MU and additional documents may be required after the initial review of the petition. The burden of proof is on the student to show presence and earnings in MO.
- Residency Petition form, completed, signed and dated in ink.
- Residency Processing Fee Authorization form, completed, signed and dated in ink.
- Lease(s) or sublease(s) with your name, location and dates on it.
- Official payroll records/paystubs plus work schedules for every pay period during the summer.
- Bank records from May through August showing the student’s name and regular transactions within the state of Missouri.
- Copy of your permanent Missouri driver's license.
- Copy of your Missouri voter's registration verification.
- If you were under 21 during any part of the qualifying 12 months, a copy of page 1 & 2 of your parent’s federal 1040 income tax form for the previous year showing you were NOT claimed as a dependent. If you were 21 or older for the entire qualifying 12 months, a copy of page 1 & 2 of your federal and Missouri 1040 income tax forms for the previous year.
- If you are the only owner of your car, please submit a copy of your Missouri auto registration
PROCESS FOR APPLYING FOR MISSOURI RESIDENCY
- After completing the 12 month qualifying period, you will submit your documents. Pick up a residency petitioning packet at the front desk in 125 Jesse Hall or print it from our website (admissions.missouri.edu/residency). If you have questions, you may meet with a residency officer during our walk-in hours of 9:30 a.m. to 11 a.m. and 2 p.m. to 3 p.m. Monday through Friday.
- Residency petitions may only be submitted for the current semester. The petitioning period begins the first day of classes and ends the last day of classes for that semester. The petition and ALL supporting documents must be received by the last day of class in order to be considered for that semester. After the last day of classes, no residency petitions will be considered for that semester.
- Once you have been granted Missouri residency, you must maintain continuous enrollment for the Fall and Spring semesters. Should you not attend MU for one of these semesters, you will be required to re-establish your eligibility to pay in-state tuition.
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION TO CONSIDER
For questions about your bill, please contact the Cashier’s Office at 573-882-3097 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
For FINANCIAL AID APPLICANTS, this form is for residency purposes only and does not demonstrate independent student status for financial aid purposes. You must answer NO to the emancipated minor question on the FAFSA unless you can provide a copy of a court’s decision that you were an emancipated minor before reaching the age of majority in your state of legal residence. If you are a STUDENT ATHLETE you must notify the Athletic Compliance Office that you are applying for Missouri residency.
If you have questions or need assistance, please contact the Residency Department of the University Registrar:
- In person or by mail: 125 Jesse Hall, Columbia, MO 65211
- Walk-in hours: Monday-Friday 9:30-11 a.m. and 2-3 p.m.
- Email: email@example.com
- Phone: 573-882-7881